A Season of Transition - Celebrating God's Ongoing Faithfulness
In 1980, Pastor Jerry started as the Senior Pastor of Crossroads Baptist Church. From that time until today he's witnessed God's faithfulness to the life and ministry here at Crossroads. In that time he's not just seen the church grow in size but he's seen it grow in impact as the teaching of God's word has penetrated and transformed the lives of so many. Well, as we heard from Pastor Jerry, he's now anticipating the next season of his life and ministry as he plans for retirement as the senior pastor. What an amazing opportunity to celebrate with him nearly 50 years of ministry and faithful service to God's kingdom.
But as we celebrate this milestone, we also look ahead to God's faithful provision in the next man who will serve and lead Crossroads as senior pastor. You may have a lot of questions about this process and may even be a little bit anxious about it. That's understandable! This is an important moment in the life of the church and we want everyone to be on the same page as we take our first steps into this season of transition. It's important to note that CBC’s mission and core values are not changing. We will always be a Biblically focused and strong teaching church. We will search for a leader that aligns with who we are.
This page will provide you with the information you need to understand where we're at and where things are going with the transition. We'll be making updates as information changes so check back as often as you like.
Current Status (status as of Feb 11, 2018)
- With Pastor Jerry's announcement on Feb 11, we're also announcing the start of the search process. A search firm has been selected to assist in identifying qualified candidates for this position. A church profile and position description has been written to guide in the selection process.
- Multiple teams of people will be engaged in the early steps of this process. A Senior Pastor Transition Oversight Team has been formed and has been prayerfully preparing the overall plan. Our staff, elders and a search team made up of a diverse group of individuals from the body will have input throughout the search process and ultimately the church membership will be involved in calling the right man to this role through a membership vote.
- There will be periodic updates during services and this page will be updated with the latest available information. We will also have periodic prayer meetings for the church body to come together and commit this to the Lord.
- Once a new pastor is “called” into leadership, our intention is to have a period of time where both Pastor Jerry and the new Senior Pastor serve the church, side-by-side. The purpose of this overlap is to ensure a great transition for our next leader. After this, Pastor Jerry will take a sabbatical from any active involvement in leading the church. Following his retirement, Pastor Jerry desires to continue his involvement here at CBC.
- Only the Lord knows the timing! Sometimes a search process can take many months so whatever the case, let's commit this to prayer and trust in the Lord's love for this church and His faithfulness to see us through this transition.
- Formation of Senior Pastor Transition Team 2015 (complete)
- Search firm selected November 2017 (complete)
- Church profile and lead pastor position defined December 2017 (complete)
- Announcement to congregation February 2018 (complete)
- Search process launched with our search partner - Feb 2018 (complete)
- Search Committee Selection finalized March 2018 (complete)
- Receive and review candidates - April 2018, ongoing
Transition Oversight Team
- Marc Evanger
- Daniel Adent (chairman)
- Ron Elder
- Gary Massingill
- Gary Ericson
- Tom Clagett
Search Team (updated April 23)
- Brian Wisler | Chairman of search team, elder
- Andrew David | Elder, children ages 6 to teens
- Mason Possing | Young adult leader
- Gaby Cavalcanti | MOPS leader, preschool age children
- Jayne Bell | Involved in children's ministry
- Susan Teng | Wife of elder, serves in greet and other areas
- Josh Betts | Works with student ministry, previous search team
- Gary Ericson | Chairman
- Ernie Erke | Vice-Chairman
- Brian Wisler
- Gary Gledhill
- Matt Worthington
- Ron Elder
- Tom Fowler
- Rajesh Godavarthi
- Jerry Mitchell
- Kurt Quamme
- Leland Teng
- Darryl Hung
- Greg Ransom
Q: Is Pastor Jerry retiring right now and will we be looking for an interim pastor?
Not at all. Pastor Jerry is committed to a smooth and healthy transition so he will be here continuing to preach and teach until our next senior pastor is identified and called.
Q: What are the priorities we are looking for in a new Senior Pastor?
Our core values and identity are not changing. We're looking for an excellent, expository Bible teacher, a strong leader of leaders, one who is passionate for reaching our community with the life changing message of Jesus and who shares Crossroad's philosophy of Ministry.
Q: Is there a targeted timeline for the full transition?
The timing is all in God's plan. Pastor Jerry and the leadership team are moving through this process very intentionally so there is minimal disruption to our congregation and ministry and we can take the time required to find just the right man.
Q: Will this change impact other paid staff?
The elders and leadership of Crossroads are committed to our current staff and the continuation of a healthy team and culture.
Q: How can the congregation be supportive through this transition?
Please pray for wisdom and discernment among leaders and those directly involved in the search process. Pray for Pastor Jerry and his family … this is the first time he's retired and that's a big change! Pray for peace and unity within the leadership and congregation. This is an important time for the entire church and we want to demonstrate the power of Christ's love as we celebrate Jerry's ministry and retirement and look ahead to the future of Crossroads.
Q:What should I do if I have questions?
We're pretty early in this process but there are bound to be some questions. First, check for updates on this page that may answer your question. If we haven't answered your questions please see Tom Clagett in person or send him email at email@example.com. Please allow several days for an email response.